Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/kthulah/public_html/steviarecipes/wp-content/plugins/yet-another-related-posts-plugin/classes/YARPP_Core.php on line 1009
I was trying to figure out how I could make a nice, light, and airy cake using stevia and only other ingredients I could find easily at the grocery store. This recipe technically has some sugar in it, in the form of honey, but not that much. It’s just enough to give it a good mouthfeel, since stevia’s sweetness has a slightly later onset that might alert people who normally eat sugar to the fact that it’s sugar free. You can try it without the honey if you like, and if you do, use 2 tablespoons of very hot water to “bloom” the stevia powder.
Also, I made this in the microwave in the small glass type pan from the 6 piece set, but you can bake it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit if you prefer. If you bake with a wood or pellet stove, put it in a pie pan instead of a deep pan.
You will need:
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (also called “lemon salts”) or vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon stevia herb powder (it should be the actual green herb powder, not the stripped steviosides)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the butter and have it ready.
- Beat the eggs, and have them ready.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture looks crumbly with no large lumps.
- Stir in the eggs very well.
- Stir in the honey well.
- Then whisk in the milk with a wire whisk until the mixture is fairly smooth with no large or dry clumps. You don’t want to overmix this.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract until it’s well distributed.
- If you like, you can fold in some finely chopped nuts.
- Pour it into a well buttered pan.
- Microwave it on HIGH for about 4 minutes.
Let it set for about 15 minutes before serving.